The National Association of E.E. Smith Alumni and Friends, Inc. (NAEESAF) and The E.E. Smith Sports Hall of Fame (EES SHOF) are proud to announce the second annual class of inductees into the E.E. Smith Sports Hall of Fame. The E.E. Smith Sports Hall of Fame was established August 9, 2021, with the mission to recognize the noteworthy achievements and contributions of student athletes, teams, coaches, school staff, and volunteers who donated extraordinary amounts of time and talent to the E.E. Smith athletic program.
The HOF Initiative Committee is excited to announce the E.E. Smith Sports Hall of Fame Second Class as follows:
• Three former coaches who helped to create and continue Smith’s outstanding winning sports legacy — Ida Askew, Henry A. Black, and Milton A. Butts.
• Fourteen former E.E. Smith athletes who excelled in various sports at EES and in college: Joyce Vaughn Battle ’81 Basketball, Robert Brickey ’86 Basketball, Nettie Toomer Council ’48 Basketball, Carl Galbreath ’45 Football, Angela Hill ’90 Basketball, Carey Hughley ’61 Football, Samara Dobbins Johnson ’91 Basketball, Connell Maynor ’87 Football, Earl McNeill ’68 Basketball and Baseball, Garvin Stone ’69 Football, Brandon Wallace ’05 Wrestling, Bobby Earl Williams ’58 Football, Colette Williams Valentine ’82 Track and Field, Roszella Major Williams ’78 Track and Field.
• One Legacy Family of outstanding athletes, The Cole Brothers: Ben ‘57, Alexander (Fuzzy) ‘61, Allen ‘62 and Lamb ‘67.
• Three North Carolina State Championship Men’s Basketball Teams: 1937, 1938, and 1950.
• The 1939 Men’s Basketball Team who were Finalist in the National Championship.
The HOF Initiative Committee, on behalf of NAEESAF members, will introduce the second class of inductees at the home basketball game,Friday, December 2, 2022, vs. Saint Paul’s. The Second HOF Class will be formally inducted into the E.E. Smith Sports Hall of Fame at a ceremony during a Gala Banquet on Sunday, May 28, 2023, as a part of the NAEESAF’s 2023 Annual Memorial Day Weekend Reunion activities.